Wednesday 30 October 2013

A place I used to call home

Suddenly missing those long walks back in Plymouth, basically the life there. Everything was slow-paced unlike SG. There is only one main shopping centre in Plymouth and it usually takes us about 20 minutes walk from the boy's house. We have never taken the bus in Plymouth b'cuz the whole place is pretty much walkable, and the weather is so cooling all year round you will never perspire from walking for an hour. The only one time we took a bus was when we were heading to the Zoo in Dartmoor (will get to that when I blog about it some other time). Other than that, we either walked or cabbed haha.

The shopping mall, Drake Circus, is usually filled with people. And mind you, even on weekdays at like 3pm, there are still people shopping around. Even in like parks, we see people walking their dogs at like 2pm in the day. The lifestyle is really different from us.

I wouldn't deny that I have been a bum the entire time there since I wasn't studying haha. The boy also took care of me really well and cooked most of our meals, but I did fry rice during his exam period and boil herbal tea for him too!

We will always do our own grocery shopping at Sainsbury & Iceland and in the beginning we would lug the shopping bags home, but eventually we got lazy and started cabbing home instead haha. The walk from Sainsbury to home was about half an hour or maybe even more, so in our defense we were not really lazy. I love grocery shopping even in SG. I just love food that's why.

The boy's school was near Drake Circus so we would usually head over after school and whenever we step into Primark (shopping heaven), I wouldn't leave the shop without getting anything haha. It's like a curse or something.

My fave sushi place is Yo! Sushi. I don't know why the rest found it yucky but I thought it was something different. I always bugged the boy but we couldn't have it all the time as it was pretty expensive. Food there is twice the price SG's food. I really like Marks & Spencers there. They have a whole lot of variety of food, SG's can be put to shame haha. On the way home from Drake Circus, there is a small Chinese Restaurant that sells really good spicy pig intestine noodles soup but it costs 8 pounds per bowl, which is SGD$16.

I loved going to the Chinese supermarket/warehouse. Always had to buy their frozen Dodo fishballs and kimchi even tho they were overpriced. We went to the fish market in the morning a couple of times to get really cheap crabs too. The fresh scallops and stingray there were fat and juicy too. Yum.

I spent most of my time watching dramas and Running Man on my phone and reading storybooks, while the boy studied. Other than that, we watched shows on teevee together like Cake Boss, Masterchef, River Monsters and sometimes Running Man together too. We had lots of maggie mee with kimchi for supper.

Caught movies at 2 different cinemas. One was really run down (Reel) and the other was better (Vue), but both can't be compared to SG's. Tickets were really expensive too, so we only caught a few shows. Went for some drinking sessions at Walkabout, where the rest really liked their food there but I personally don't as they were mainly fried food. They like to head there to watch football matches. Another drinking place would be Cuba, where they celebrated the boy's birthday. It sells great chix wings in the day, only found out when we were leaving the place, bummer! Outside Cuba, there's this hotdog stand that sells yummy hotdog bread, which only opens after 11pm. So you either get fat or get fat.

Maybe one day when we retire, we can visit the place again. Even tho we had only ourselves to lean on, I was happy to be by your side. I hope you were too. Even tho I missed home, the folks and especially Crystal, and SG's food, it was really a great experience for me. I loved it. & I'm already missing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment