Tuesday 15 October 2013

Paris, City of Romance

Back in May, the boy finally completed school and we took the opportunity to travel through Europe thereafter. We were supposed to be apart for nine months, but we managed to shorten that dreary nine months to about five. He went over in September, I went over in December and we went for a short UK tour for about two weeks with his friends before I headed over to Plymouth (his home). I flew back for CNY as my sissy came back from Aussie, had to meet her since I hardly ever see her. I flew back to Plymouth in April to accompany the boy until he completed school and we went traveling Europe for a month and finally back to SG in July. Missing the weather in UK v much.

It was like the longest holiday for me, but I definitely hope there's more to come haha. Alright, cut to the chase. Our first stop for Europe was Paris. Truth be told, not exactly the most romantic city in the world to us. There were really nice and friendly people, but we also came across a handful of nasty ones.

It was really gloomy and rainy when we arrived, checked into our hotel, Holiday Inn Gare de l'Est, which was near the train station. We were in Paris for four days. Throughout the entire Europe trip, we always got lost while navigating to our hotel, it's not even funny. French people were all decked out in black with black brollies, fashionable or what.

We decided to cover a few famous tourist attractions since it was already late afternoon when we arrived. On the way to this church, we got lost but a kind soul helped us along the way. However, upon reaching the church, we almost got conned by a group of people. They were all acting chummy and friendly and they started to tie something like a friendship band around our hands and started making conversations with us. & when it's done they insisted that we had to pay them when we didn't even ask for it in the first place. We wanted to just give them a small amount and shake them off but they demanded for 20 euros instead. The boy hurriedly held my hand and warned them that he was going to the police and brought me away quickly. Still couldn't believe that they would try to do that in the public and right in front of a church.
One thing I love about Paris is their fruit tarts. Their pastries, to be precise. I am not a bread person, if you know me well, so when I say their pastries are good, I mean they are really good and fresh. I could eat ham and bread and not whine about it.
& not forgetting their waffles (altho I'm sure Belgium waffles would be the best but this is awesome!) We went back for more on a different day b'cuz it was so yummy. The sugared vanilla flavour was the best.
Just me, happy with my box of pastries.
Gloomy weather, but company made up for it.
 
Musée du Louvre.
 
Eiffel tower, been there done that. We didn't manage to catch the night scene of the Eiffel tower b'cuz I was lazy and it was nowhere in sight near our hotel. And to add on, after the con men incident, we decided to not stay out too late at night since it wasn't really safe as there were only just two of us.
Magnificent view of Paris.
The boy feeling the jitters b'cuz he's afraid of heights haha, but we were only halfway up.
Sun's out.
After walking and shopping around for awhile, we settled for lunch at this Japanese restaurant owned by a Jap, and I was impressed with the udon. It was sooo good. We settled for something soupy(instead of famous French cuisine in Paris) as I was already falling ill, yes just when we started the trip, I am such a wet blanket sometimes. My taste buds were pretty much gone, but I could still taste the broth of the udon, so it really is amazingly delicious.
Headed to the happiest place on earth next. Take a guess where?

No comments:

Post a Comment