Tuesday 14 March 2017

Rovaniemi, Finland

We left the day after our wedding. The long awaited honeymoon, winter has always been my favourite season, hence I was really looking forward to this.

We took an 11 hour flight on Finnair from Singapore to Helsinki and then we took an internal flight of 2 hours to Rovaniemi. I was already stoked when I saw this outside my plane window at Helsinki. I made the boy kiss me under a mistletoe in the airport at Helsinki. 



What a welcoming sight.



Already feeling the Christmassy vibes when we were in Rovaniemi Airport.


Stepping out of Rovaniemi airport, it was truly winter wonderland!

 We had to lug our huge luggages to the carpark and I must admit it wasn't easy pulling heavy luggages in the snow.


We got lucky. A Lexus for our honeymoon!


Since I'm a road/map idiot, I drove while he directed me. My virgin experience driving in the snow, it was pretty exhilarating. 


First stop: Santa Claus Village

There were actually many buildings there and we were quite confused which was the real Santa Claus, but we found him in the end. 



That's a faceless me all wrapped up, it was -8 degrees celcius.


Eskimos!


Santa gave us his blessings for our marriage. We were live on the recording, my parents could see us when they went to the website and they took a screenshot for us. We decided to buy the footage as well, which cost us $40.


This is the building where the real Santa Claus is.


Yeah, we were in the arctic circle. #beentheredonethat



Our sweet ride.



Felt like I was in the movies. So magical.


Chasing light.




Second stop: Ranua Zoo 

We saw many arctic animals there. Always feeling like a kiddo again when I'm at the zoo. I would recommend this place if you like animals. It isn't very big though. Some of them were hibernating too.


My toes were freezing though. Learnt my lesson from then on and started putting on toe warmers.





They were building an igloo and we took a peek inside.



We only had 2 to 3 hours of day light every day as it was winter. 
We went from 27 November to 12 December 2016.


Stayed at the City Hotel for a night. We took a stroll around the city centre, but almost everything was closed by 6pm.


So we ended up in our hotel's restaurant. 
I love how their restaurants are always dimly lit. 


Our first taste of reindeer meat. Sauteed reindeer for dinner. 


We headed to Levi next and stayed there for 5 days. 
It was definitely the highlight of our trip. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment